Do you get frustrated when trying to change between different input sources like your cable box, gaming console, Blu-ray player or streaming stick connected to your LG TV? Input switching doesn’t need to be a complicated process.
With this ultimate guide, you’ll learn 16 easy methods to change the input on any LG smart TV using the remote, menus, voice control, mobile apps and more. We’ll also cover troubleshooting tips, frequently asked questions, quick shortcuts, and advanced input settings for LG TVs.
Whether you have an LG OLED, NanoCell, UHD, or older model, you’ll be able to seamlessly switch inputs after reading this. Let’s get started!
16 Ways on How to Change the Input on Your LG TV
1. Use the Input Button on the LG TV Remote
The fastest way to change inputs on an LG TV is by using the remote control:
- Locate the Input button on your LG remote. It’s usually near the top and has an icon like a monitor or boxes.
- Press the Input button to bring up an on-screen list of input sources.
- Use the arrow buttons to highlight the input you want.
- Press Enter to switch to that input on your LG TV.
This method takes just seconds to change inputs using the remote. If your LG remote lacks the Input button, look for Source, Video Source or AV.
2. Navigate LG TV Settings Menus to Change the Input
LG smart TVs also allow you to change inputs via the settings menus:
- Press Home/Smart on the remote to access the launcher.
- Select the Settings icon (gear symbol).
- Choose All Settings then General.
- Select the Input option.
- Highlight your desired input from the list and press Enter to confirm.
While a bit more complex than the remote method, this works if your LG remote is missing or broken.
3. Use LG Quick Settings to Swiftly Change the TV Input
LG webOS smart TVs have Quick Settings for frequently used functions like changing inputs:
- Press Home/Smart then highlight the Quick Settings icon.
- Press Enter to bring up the Quick Settings menu.
- Your available input sources will be listed – highlight one and press Enter.
Quick Settings offer a fast way to change LG TV inputs without digging through full menus.
4. Change the Input Via LG Magic Remote Point & Click
LG Magic Remotes provide an intuitive way to switch inputs:
- Point the LG Magic Remote at the TV to highlight the input name at the top.
- Click the scroll wheel button to display available input sources.
- Point to and click your desired input source to select it.
The Magic Remote’s motion pointer makes changing inputs on an LG TV easy.
5. Use LG TV Voice Commands to Change the Input Source
You can even change inputs on compatible LG TVs using voice commands:
- Press the microphone button on the LG Magic Remote.
- When prompted, clearly say “Change input to HDMI 1” or any other source.
- The LG TV will process the command and change over to the requested input.
Hands-free voice control via the Magic Remote offers a convenient way to swiftly switch LG TV input sources.
6. Reorder Input Sources on Your LG Television
If you frequently switch between 2-3 input sources, reordering them in the input list can save time:
- In General Settings, select Inputs then highlight an input.
- Press the red color button on the remote to move it to the top of the list.
- Repeat for other commonly used inputs.
Now your most-used sources will be first in line when cycling through LG TV inputs.
7. Change the LG TV Input with the ThinQ Mobile App
The LG ThinQ app allows changing inputs from your iOS or Android phone:
- Open the ThinQ app and tap the TV icon.
- Tap the Input button on the remote control overlay.
- Select the desired input source from the list.
The ThinQ app makes changing inputs easy if you misplaced the LG remote.
8. Set Hotkeys for Faster Input Switching
For rapid input changing, program hotkeys on your LG TV remote:
- In General Settings, choose Input > Hotkey Manager.
- Select a number button and pair it with an input source.
Now just press the programmed number button to instantly switch inputs on your LG TV.
9. Use Last Input Button to Quickly Toggle Sources
The Last Input button on LG remotes offers an easy way to toggle between current and previous inputs:
- From any input, press Last Input on the remote.
- It will automatically switch back to the last used input.
- Press Last Input again to return to the previous input.
This convenient button makes it simple to quickly change between two LG TV inputs.
10. Enable CEC to Automatically Switch Inputs
With HDMI-CEC enabled on your LG TV and connected devices, input switching can be automatic:
- Turn on your Blu-ray player and the TV input will automatically switch to it.
- Press play on the Blu-ray remote and the movie begins instantly, without manually changing inputs.
CEC allows seamless input changing between your LG TV and media devices.
11. Use Alexa/Google Home to Switch LG TV Inputs
Connect your LG TV to a smart speaker for hands-free input control:
- Say “Alexa, change TV to HDMI 1” and Alexa will handle switching inputs!
Integration with smart home assistants makes changing inputs more convenient than ever.
12. Program an LG TV Universal Remote
A universal remote like Logitech Harmony simplifies controlling all devices:
- Program the universal remote with proper LG TV control codes.
- Use the Input button on the remote to easily select sources on your LG TV.
Universal remotes allow seamless control of your LG television and other components.
13. Switch Inputs with External Device Remotes
Many streaming devices and game consoles allow controlling LG TV inputs:
- Press the Home button and select the Change Inputs option.
- Choose the desired input source on your LG TV.
Consult your device’s settings and manual for options to switch LG TV inputs.
14. Set Up Gaming Console LG TV Input Shortcuts
Game consoles can be configured for automatic input switching:
- In External Device Manager, enable HDMI Device Link.
- On the LG TV input list, rename the console input for easy identification.
Now you can hold a controller button to power on and automatically change to its LG TV input.
15. Use LG Soundbar Remote Shortcuts
If you have an LG soundbar connected to your TV, you can change inputs with its remote:
- Press the Input button on the LG soundbar remote.
- Cycle through the options until you have selected the desired input source.
The input on your LG TV will automatically change to match the soundbar.
16. Switch Inputs in LG Hospitality TVs
For LG Pro:Centric hospitality TVs, there is a special professional menu:
- Enter the Installation Menu with a numeric passcode.
- Go to Input and External Control.
- Select the desired external input source to switch to it.
This secure menu allows easy input changes while limiting guest control.
Common Shortcuts for Changing LG TV Inputs
Here are some quick shortcuts you can use on your LG TV remote to change inputs:
- Press Input repeatedly to cycle through sources
- Hold Input button down for 3 seconds to open input list
- Press 0-9 numbers you’ve set as input hotkeys
- Use Last button to toggle between current and previous input
- Enable HDMI-CEC and use device remotes to automatically change LG TV input
Expert LG TV Input Settings and Controls
Under LG TV Input settings, you’ll find advanced options:
- Rename input to customize how sources appear
- Enable SIMPLINK to control devices via HDMI-CEC
- Adjust input picture/audio to optimize quality
- Set live TV input if you use antenna/cable
- Configure universal remote control codes
- Reorder input list to put favorites at the top
- Program hotkeys for quick input changing
- Adjust input label transparency when switching
Optimizing these input settings makes selecting and changing sources much easier.
Troubleshooting Tips for LG TV Input Problems
If you’re having issues changing inputs on your LG TV, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Check input connections and cables to ensure they are securely fastened. Loose cables can cause input issues.
- Try using a different HDMI port on the TV. Ports can sometimes fail.
- Make sure the input source device like a cable box is powered on. The LG TV won’t detect inactive inputs.
- Reset connected devices like a streaming stick. Power cycle the LG TV as well.
- Update the software and firmware for your LG TV, remote, and connected devices. Outdated firmware can lead to input problems.
- Factory reset your LG TV if problems persist and you’ve tried other troubleshooting. This will clear any software bugs.
Frequently Asked Questions About LG TV Inputs
Here are answers to common questions about changing input sources on LG TVs:
How do I get my LG TV remote to control the input?
Press the Input button on the LG remote and use the arrow and Enter buttons to select the desired source.
Why does my LG TV keep switching inputs automatically?
This is likely related to CEC control being enabled. Go to your TV settings and disable HDMI-CEC.
Do I need an LG Magic Remote to change inputs?
No, you can use the standard remote Input button or on-screen menus. The Magic Remote just offers extra options like point-and-click and voice control.
Why can’t I find the input name when switching sources?
Go to your TV input settings and make sure you have named and labeled each input source like your game console or streaming stick. This makes them easy to identify.
How do I reorder the input list on my LG TV?
In the General Settings menu, choose Inputs. Highlight an input and press the color buttons on the remote to move it up or down in the list.
Why is my LG TV not detecting an input source?
Check that the input device like a cable box is turned on and that all video cables are properly seated. Also try disconnecting and reconnecting the device cables.
Changing the input source on your LG smart TV doesn’t need to be a frustrating process. With the 16 methods listed in this ultimate guide, you can now easily switch inputs using your LG remote, TV menu options, connected devices, voice assistants, shortcuts and more.
Optimizing the input settings, troubleshooting problems, and understanding frequently asked questions will make you a pro at managing inputs on your LG television.
So grab your LG TV remote and get ready to seamlessly change inputs like a professional!
Follow Vital Tech for more Technology, Guides, and How-to articles.